#41 technobabble66

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Joined 06-March 13

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

Anyone done an IPA or APA with lots of late PoR?

I've got lots to use and this might be an option.
Fwiw, I believe the 3rd Hop Thief Ale was all/mainly PoR

#42 Rosscoe

Rosscoe

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 06-May 11

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

I've not tried it, but would have thought you've now got plenty of stock bittering hops to use that would be perfectly usable though.

Try a smash with a bit of late hop and see what it comes out like if you're really interested.

#43 Bribie G

Bribie G

Lager, lager, lager-lager shouting

• Pro
  • 19,390 posts
  • Joined 09-June 08

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

POR not recommended for late hopping, it's a bittering hop where a distinctive flavour carries through, but late hopping can result in a "coarse" flavour apparently, but try it and see.

#44 Rosscoe

Rosscoe

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 06-May 11

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

I reckon it'd be pretty coarse unless it has a long conditioning period to soften it. Let us know how you go if you try something though. I'd go easy on it though.

#45 technobabble66

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  • Joined 06-March 13

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

Cheers, guys for the comments.

Yeah, i'm under the impression it's a bit harsh or sharp on the bittering. However, i struggled to find much mention of direct experience with heavy late hopping, so i thought i'd ask. Like many of these things, it seems you've got to give it a shot and see how your tastebuds like it. Yet another brew onto the list!

I guess it kinda seems that the feedback for PoR is slightly similar to Galaxy with it's reputation for harsh bitterness.

Might aim for a chunk of FWH, then cube-hop or late+chill.

Any experience out there with using PoR for dry-hopping?

#46 Danscraftbeer

Danscraftbeer

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Joined 01-April 15

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

I dry hopped with a little. My conclusion is its an early hop. It has distinction in that way. May be due to rare brews overall on a global scale. 

edit: Then again I envy anyone growing POR for fresh hops beer I would really love to try some all fresh hop Pride Of Ringwood harvest Ale.

Edited by Danscraftbeer, 17 February 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#47 franks

franks

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 26-January 08

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

I've used POR late once doing this recipe. I didn't find it to be harsh at all.

That being said, I don't think it would be an ideal IPA hop. It had a complex/muddy resinous herbal flavour similar to rosemary and oregano. I think it would be a great hop to support other in an IPA but wouldn't do well as a signature hop, maybe a bit like colombus.

#48 technobabble66

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  • Joined 06-March 13

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

Cheers franks. That's the sort of detailed description I was keen to hear. Recipe looks good too, though I'm not sure about those yank units. Ounces?!? Pounds?!?

To be honest, resinous sounds good. Hey, I *like* Columbus!
Though I s'pose rosemary & oregano sound a bit odd in a beer. And I do find sometimes Columbus comes out dank and resinous, other times it's much more herbal.
Sigh - this hops stuff is so damn complicated sometimes!!

#49 Goid

Goid

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

I dry hopped with a little. My conclusion is its an early hop. It has distinction in that way. May be due to rare brews overall on a global scale.

edit: Then again I envy anyone growing POR for fresh hops beer I would really love to try some all fresh hop Pride Of Ringwood harvest Ale.

With my harvest of POR flowers I solely use it all late. I don't like overly bitter beers so I use 1g/l at 15, 10 and 5g/l at 0. Then no chill. Usually a lager sometimes an ale with a base of 93% pilsner and 7% carahell. This is my house beer until I run out. I find no harshness. You do get a distinctive flavour note to it.
I'm a fan. If only because I grew the hops. I am the only one to drink it so i might have bad taste in beer though. :)

#50 TheWiggman

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate

• Members
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

Considering PoR's prevalence in the Aussie market and general aversion to standard Aussie beers amongst us beer snobs, it's certainly a 'horses for courses' hop. NickJD did a good explanation of it somewhere here, in that PoR is more along the lines of a cigar, strong whiskey or the woody character in a red that sweet wine tasters might detest. American flavour hops on the other hand are like a fine perfume, aroma that appeals and sweetly scented to make people go "that smells nice". Pride I find to ballsy no-nonsense hop that I personally enjoy and think is in a class of its own in the right profile. A stinky VB just wouldn't have that same thirst quenching power you get on a 40°C after mowing the lawn, and changing to something like Amarillo wouldn't suit at all. I go through as much PoR as any other hop, other staple hops being EKG, Saaz and Cascade.

James Boag's Draught apparently have a late addition of PoR in the boil. It's one of my preferred lagers, so my next lager is going to get similar treatment. It's a few brews away yet but I'll let you know how it turns out. I might like it and others might hate it, but I like Boag's Draught and many here don't so that has to be considered.

#51 GalBrew

GalBrew

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  • Joined 10-November 10

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Yes. I tried late hopping with POR a long time ago in a golden ale. It does not taste good, I wouldn't recommend it. It has a little citrus-like character but is rough and is just not pleasant at all.

#52 abyss

abyss

Mini Mash

• Pro
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 30-April 11

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

I only brew cans and the latest is a Beer makers Bitter with other shit and 20 g of POR dry hopped .
It gives a nice aroma and Aussie taste without the tounge coating bitterness of steeped hops.
Too easy to swallow, I'm gunna be wobbly soon.

#53 Randai

Randai

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 15-August 14

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

I'd hazard that its probably good in the right amounts. But honestly I've had a few brews that have that POR twang, where its sort of juicy/off juicy. If you put too much in.

I have had a few beers now I really wish I held back on the amount of POR in there.

But if you but a small amount in then you get a more subtle assertive bitterness that goes well with other hops.

To give a taste descriptor for others that I find for myself (others may vary), for early additions.

It has a sort of semi fermented/rotted fruit juiciness to it that subsides with conditioning time.

It has a real herbally fruity mix that can be over powering if used too heavily.

Edited by Randai, 26 October 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#54 abyss

abyss

Mini Mash

• Pro
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 30-April 11

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

Yea I am on my way trying different hops.in my beers and POR has supprized me when dry hopped, it's sort of fruity and beery ?

#55 MartinOC

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  • Joined 10-January 10

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Might need to do a bit of re-thinking, Gents.

'Looks like POR is no longer being grown in preference for "Super-Pride".

Do your own research...

#56 abyss

abyss

Mini Mash

• Pro
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 30-April 11

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

I've got it now

Might need to do a bit of re-thinking, Gents.

'Looks like POR is no longer being grown in preference for "Super-Pride".

Do your own research...

#57 Randai

Randai

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 15-August 14

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

I have some 2015 POR, but I swear you can buy 2016 of it anyhow?

I saw that spiel by hops.com.au that they weren't growing POR anymore, but there are other growers out there.

#58 GalBrew

GalBrew

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  • Joined 10-November 10

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

Yes, I have late hopped a DSGA with POR back in the day when I didn't know any better........I wouldn't recommend it.

#59 technobabble66

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  • Joined 06-March 13

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477828159.039360.jpg   88.83KB   19 downloads
Pic of my single hop PoR Aussie Ale.
Such a simple beer, but I reckon it's one of my best beers yet. PoR works so well in this I'm honestly amazed - a little fruitiness, spiciness, and something else. A sharp, solid, but non-rough bitterness. The hops are doing something but the malts still shine through well.

The subtle middle finger in the pic is for those that shitcan PoR

#60 Shibby

Shibby

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:12 AM

Hey Technobabble66, can you please share your recipe. Im growing POR hops so I mite give it a go when ready.

I have also tried someones brew that was just a can of cooper pale ale with 50grams of POR at 0min for 20mins and it tasted great.

It will be a nice change up to try it over the popular current hop bombs.