HeavyNova

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 29-July 10

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

I just got my STC-1000 unit going on the weekend and was wondering;

Does anyone know how to calibrate these units?

F4 in the menu is for calibration but I can't find any info on how it works.

#42 razz

razz

Beer God

• Pro
  • 2,737 posts
  • Joined 30-October 05

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

http://www.kibnt.com...123057YibJg.pdf
Is this the one/

#43 HeavyNova

HeavyNova

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 29-July 10

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

http://www.kibnt.com...123057YibJg.pdf
Is this the one/

Yep that's the one. But I can't see any details on how to calibrate it....

#44 cdbrown

cdbrown

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined 16-February 08

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

Do you have a calibrated thermometer? If so just compare the reading of the thermo and STC-1000, adjust F4 until they are displaying the same value.

#45 HeavyNova

HeavyNova

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 29-July 10

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

Do you have a calibrated thermometer? If so just compare the reading of the thermo and STC-1000, adjust F4 until they are displaying the same value.

Thanks cdbrown!

#46 DKS

DKS

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the tip guys.
Totally forgot to double check calibration comparison for accuracy.
Just assumed such an accurate bit of kit would be on the money.Maybe not yeh?
Daz

#47 HeavyNova

HeavyNova

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 29-July 10

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

I've seen a comparison showing 2 STC-1000's (or similar - fridgemate etc) in the same environment showing a difference of 0.4 degrees.

While it's not a huge difference and within the unit's accuracy tolerances, I just thought if it's a simple excerise to calibrate the unit then why not give it a shot!

#48 sinkas

sinkas

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,995 posts
  • Joined 13-March 05

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

so just to ask a dumbass question, can you use these to control a heat and a cooling source at the same time?

#49 cdbrown

cdbrown

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined 16-February 08

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

yes - you set the desired target temp and as long as you've got something wired up to the heat side and the cool side it will do what it needs to do to keep it at the right temp. Handy little bit of kit.

#50 Silo Ted

Silo Ted

Suspended in an Aspic Consommé

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  • Joined 17-June 10

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

Connected my STC1000 today, but buggered if I can get the thing to operate. Have checked the F1, F2 & F3 coordinates, and tested with both a fridge and a lamp. Once the set temp is reached, there is a click in the device, so something is switching, but its not triggering the external device. Is there a trick Im missing or should I re-inspect the wiring ?

#51 DKS

DKS

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

Connected my STC1000 today, but buggered if I can get the thing to operate. Have checked the F1, F2 & F3 coordinates, and tested with both a fridge and a lamp. Once the set temp is reached, there is a click in the device, so something is switching, but its not triggering the external device. Is there a trick Im missing or should I re-inspect the wiring ?

Could be the set "delay time" before she kicks in. Try again and wait a little longer than the delay time. That's all I could suggest.Good luck. Its not that hard the remedy will be simple.
Daz

#52 ballzac

ballzac

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 18-June 08

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

Does the light come on to indicate that it's heating?

#53 michael_aussie

michael_aussie

Beer God

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • Joined 12-April 10

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:41 PM

The clicking sound will be the internal relay pulling in.

Are you sure you have it correctly wired???

The heating and cooling terminal are either side of a set of contacts, not a pair of outputs.

#54 ballzac

ballzac

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 18-June 08

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

Also, don't forget that you're dealing with mains, so if it's not wired correctly it could be dangerous.

#55 Silo Ted

Silo Ted

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  • Joined 17-June 10

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

Cheers to DKS for following me up on this.

Well I checked the delay time, set at 3 minutes. When the device is turned on the cool LED flashes, then the relay switches over, and the cool LED stay onbut does not turn the device on - Im using a lamp as a test).

When I hit the set temp using a glass of iced water, the cool LED goes off. Once it drops below the range setting of 0.5 degree the heating light comes on.

#56 Silo Ted

Silo Ted

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  • Joined 17-June 10

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

Here is an attempt to present the wiring in photoshop. Any ideas where it might be failing.

NOTE TO READERS: THIS IS POSTED AS A QUERY FOR CLARIFICATION PURPOSES - DO NOT FOLLOW THIS DIAGRAM FOR YOUR OWN INSTALLATION.

Attached File  wiring.gif   6.79KB   137 downloads

#57 DKS

DKS

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

Cheers to DKS for following me up on this.

Well I checked the delay time, set at 3 minutes. When the device is turned on the cool LED flashes, then the relay switches over, and the cool LED stay onbut does not turn the device on - Im using a lamp as a test).

When I hit the set temp using a glass of iced water, the cool LED goes off. Once it drops below the range setting of 0.5 degree the heating light comes on.

If I'm getting this right......Sounds like the sensor is colder than the set temp so switch wont signal to cool any more. Try puting the sensor into luke warm water and re run start up. Wait your 3mins after that click of the relay. Fingers crossed. Otherwise hit it with a big hammer. :P
Daz

#58 NigeP62

NigeP62

It's all about the Beer

• Banned
  • 1,661 posts
  • Joined 21-October 08

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

Here is an attempt to present the wiring in photoshop. Any ideas where it might be failing.

NOTE TO READERS: THIS IS POSTED AS A QUERY FOR CLARIFICATION PURPOSES - DO NOT FOLLOW THIS DIAGRAM FOR YOUR OWN INSTALLATION.

Quick answer... WRONG!
Will get you a better answer shortly if no-one beats me too it.

#59 matr

matr

Mash Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined 01-May 08

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

your out neutral should go to 2 with the other neutral, your out live goes to 8 and live in 1 should be looped to 7. Also connect the earth wires.. Job done!!

#60 NigeP62

NigeP62

It's all about the Beer

• Banned
  • 1,661 posts
  • Joined 21-October 08

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

OK Pizza ordered.
Now the active goes to terminals 1,5 and 7.
Neutral goes to terminal 2 and the neutral terminals on the back of your sockets.
From terminal 6 you run a wire to the active terminal on your heating socket and from terminal 8 to the active of your cooling socket.
There is a diagram somewhere but I don't have the time or patience to search for it at the moment.

I will say that given your first attempt I would advise against you using this until you have it checked by someone qualified.

Cheers
Nige