citymorgue2

HB so good, it will raise the dead

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hi All

There seems to be a bit of a shortage on rice hulls because of the drought, and finding places to sell them to you is hard.

Ive found a place in the eastern suburbs that not only will sell to the public at a reasonable price, but in small bales, ~0.7m3 (~50-60L) for $26. This is a much more managable size for use brewers as opposed to the 130L bales of old.

Oban Trading - 9 Oban Rd, Ringwood Vic 3134

Im personaly wrapped at this as they are literally 2 min from me!

Eastern Distribution used to supply all the pet/stock stores but i dont think they do now. Here's a link to their stockist list. you could try calling ones in your area to see if they stock bales (big or small).

I personally will be getting a small bale from oban trading in a couple of weeks.

(no affiliation etc etc).

edit: I forgot to mention, they only have 1 bail in stock at the moment but they told me they should have worked out in a week or so

Edited by citymorgue2, 10 June 2010 - 03:46 PM.

#2 brendo

brendo

Tap-whore

• Pro
  • 1,625 posts
  • Joined 15-April 08

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hi All

There seems to be a bit of a shortage on rice hulls because of the drought, and finding places to sell them to you is hard.

Ive found a place in the eastern suburbs that not only will sell to the public at a reasonable price, but in small bales, ~0.7m3 (~50-60L) for $26. This is a much more managable size for use brewers as opposed to the 130L bales of old.

Oban Trading - 9 Oban Rd, Ringwood Vic 3134

Im personaly wrapped at this as they are literally 2 min from me!

Eastern Distribution used to supply all the pet/stock stores but i dont think they do now. Here's a link to their stockist list. you could try calling ones in your area to see if they stock bales (big or small).

I personally will be getting a small bale from oban trading in a couple of weeks.

(no affiliation etc etc).

edit: I forgot to mention, they only have 1 bail in stock at the moment but they told me they should have worked out in a week or so

Good find mate... and conveniently located too... well at least for us :rolleyes:

#3 citymorgue2

citymorgue2

• Banned
  • 8,591 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

and conveniently located too... well at least for us :rolleyes:

thats why I included that stockist list. a lot fo those places might stock hulls. not all will though. Ive already tried a few before i tried Oban road.

at $26 for a 50-60L bail, thats awsome. thats $0.50 a kilo. and it makes using them a lot more attractive

#4 therook

therook

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,870 posts
  • Joined 25-March 03

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

thats why I included that stockist list. a lot fo those places might stock hulls. not all will though. Ive already tried a few before i tried Oban road.

at $26 for a 50-60L bail, thats awsome. thats $0.50 a kilo. and it makes using them a lot more attractive

Real Brewers don't need Rice gulls :P

#5 Roller997

Roller997

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 14-August 08

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Great find CM2 - Making a wheat this weekend so timing is perfect too.

Regards

Roller

#6 Fourstar

Fourstar

doG reeB

• Members
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 31-October 07

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

when i attempt my Rye Pale ale with 40% rye, a beta glucan rest and then fail. I'll come knocking on your door for a few handfuls/grainsack worth! :lol:

#7 citymorgue2

citymorgue2

• Banned
  • 8,591 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

update

I got a bale of the hulls. the actual size is just little smaller than a bag of straw or similar that you'd pick up at bunnings or whatever. for $26 you cant beat it.

I'll try and remember to take a pic of the bale before i cut it open to brew with this weekend.