#861 GregMeady

GregMeady

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-May 16

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

Woke up this morning and ran out to check my mead. I expected to see ka-blooping and bubbling like crazy. Got there and no ka-blooping and no bubbles. I guess this was due to the overnight temp here being about 10c. Thinking I had no chance and would have to ditch it, proclaiming woah ways me. Went back to read the first few pages of the thread again to see if anyone else had had a problem with temp. Then I suddenly remembered that I had an old heat pad that I used to use for growing plant cuttings. Revved that up, and now I am starting to see bubbles, still no ka-blooping, but it's looking ok.  :)

#862 Kingy

Kingy

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Joined 21-October 06

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

I just use glad wrap on the opening with an elastic band over it. Airlocks are overrated. I probably wouldn't even use a heat mat (heating the yeast trub up could give off flavours especially as meads get quite thick on the bottom) just leave it alone and forget about it for 3 months

#863 GregMeady

GregMeady

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-May 16

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:11 AM

I just use glad wrap on the opening with an elastic band over it. Airlocks are overrated. I probably wouldn't even use a heat mat (heating the yeast trub up could give off flavours especially as meads get quite thick on the bottom) just leave it alone and forget about it for 3 months

Took your advice and ended up not using the heat mat. Had some left over honey too, so got another one going, using gladwrap and a lacky band. Cant wait to see how they turn out. 

#864 fraser_john

fraser_john

Go Pies

• Members
  • 2,510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 06

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

Attached File  IMG_20160603_163528.jpg   243.9KB   23 downloads

Bottling this bad boy today, 20 litres @13.8%

Unlike the recipe recommendations, I added nutrients, added oxygen, used Ruby Red Grapefruit instead of oranges and Red Muscatel Raisins. The result is a citrusy, dry mead, pretty happy with it. Added sulphites to 0.8 mg/L to ensure it lasts a long time in the bottle.

Cheers

#865 The Big D

The Big D

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 15-August 16

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

Just put down my first JAO yesterday following the recipe to a T. I'm on the far north coast of NSW so we shouldnt be having too many troubles. It's on a dark bench away from sunlight and excess heat. I used a whole sachet of tandaco bread yeast, as did my best mate who was making it alongside me. His uses 2 cloves. Let's see how this turns out!
Update: Not too much bubbling, one bloop approx every two seconds. Now to hurry up and wait  ^_^

#866 kuppcakes

kuppcakes

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 04-November 16

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

Tried this recipe and it came out fantastic!

#867 paulyman

paulyman

Beer God

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

Since this topic was reawakened I thought I may as well have a go as well. Looking forward to this one given the price for a commercial example of mead.

#868 clueless

clueless

Beer God

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

Well i just bottled a batch of this I made over a year ago. Dont remember exactly how long, might have been closer to two....

Was worried it might have had something go wrong after that long, but it has been at stable temps, and undisturbed the whole time.

Just finished a glass of it and it was liquid gold!

Very happy! It was a double batch as well!

#869 GalBrew

GalBrew

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • Joined 10-November 10

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:17 PM

I've had a taste of a batch I made about a month ago. It is clearing up and is around 12% ABV. It tastes very nice but it is far to sweet for me. Has anyone watered it down a touch to drop the sweetness? I know the recipe states that everything is balanced to perfection but obviously I am a bigger fan of drier meads.