#41 Diesel80

Diesel80

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Joined 04-August 11

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

Currently making my way through principles of brewing science by Dr George Fix. I'll hopefully remember to review it when I'm finished but interesting, referenced technical discussions of everything from FWH to water to malting, step mashing and hop components.

Just finished this book myself,

My chemistry is not up to scratch but i still picked up lots of handy information.
Recommended.

Cheers,
D80

#42 citymorgue2

citymorgue2

HB so good, it will raise the dead

• Banned
  • 8,591 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

added Brewing with Wheat. not wrapped with ti, so it would be good to get some reviews from other who have read it. remember to edit the wiki article not just write the review in this thread

#43 HoppingMad

HoppingMad

Ein Stein

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • Joined 26-June 08

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

added Brewing with Wheat. not wrapped with ti, so it would be good to get some reviews from other who have read it. remember to edit the wiki article not just write the review in this thread

Would agree cm2. Brewing with wheat was an interesting read but not as good as 'Brew Like a Monk' I found. I think maybe the book could have benefited from some more brewery visits on the part of the author (Stan Hieronymous) the way Brew like a Monk did. Wrote a review on this one for my club newsletter a while back - will dig it out and paste an edited review in.

Hopper.

#44 freezkat

freezkat

Beer God

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Joined 16-August 11

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

The only brewing book I own is Brewing the World's Great Beers by Dave Miller 1992 Storey Communications, Inc.

Beginner to Intermediate skill level. Covers the basics and gets you into AG...some theory and history.

Many recipes using extract, partials and AG

#45 Wolfy

Wolfy

Beer God

• Members
  • 3,907 posts
  • Joined 18-December 08

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Added the 'Yeast' and 'Prost!' books and reviews to the list.

Also updated the article to include my reviews of various books, including 'Brewing with Wheat', which I was not too impressed by.

#46 Clutch

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.

• Banned
  • 738 posts
  • Joined 02-July 11

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

Picked up Brew Chem 101 and Principles of Brewing Science at the course last week. 101 looks to be simple enough, the other one slightly harder going.

#47 Hubert

Hubert

Krausen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 05-December 10

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Fishpond had the 'Yeast' book on special the other day. Expecting it in the post this week sometime :)

#48 CONNOR BREWARE

CONNOR BREWARE

Beer God

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Joined 18-May 09

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Fishpond had the 'Yeast' book on special the other day. Expecting it in the post this week sometime :)

I love that book, always referring back to it.

#49 keifer33

keifer33

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,543 posts
  • Joined 22-March 09

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

For those interested I noticed John Palmers new book is on Water. Not due out til mid next year but something to look forward too

http://www.bookdepos...r/9780937381991

#50 Tex083

Tex083

Beer God

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Joined 22-May 12

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

I just brought The Homebrew Handbook by Dave Law and Beshlie Grimes from a cool shop in Melbourne

Its a UK based brewing text recipes mainly with some basic brewing info.

Its ALL in metric so you dont have to convert anything, its given me some good Ideas on where to go with my beers.

http://www.bookdepos...w/9781908170248 $23 with free shipping

And it has really nice pictures

#51 mosto

mosto

Beer God

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 10-January 12

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Just wondering what books anyone could recommend for someone that's been through kits, extract, and about to embark on AG. Hoping to give the family some ideas for Christmas. I was thinking of the following:

How To Brew (I've pretty much read it all online, but thought it wouldn't hurt to have a hard copy lying around the brew shed)

Brewing Classic Styles

The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing

Pretty confident that I've got a handle on the principles and science of fermentation, so probably looking at soemthing more recipe based or concentrating on the mashing side of things. If there's something out there that deals specifically with BIAB, even better.

Cheers,

#52 EK

EK

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Joined 17-April 07

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

mosto,

How To Brew is widely regarded as a winner.

Also, The Homebrew Handbook that Tex083 mentioned is good if you are after a recipe for most different styles. On that note Brewing Classic Styles is also worth a look.

:icon_cheers:

-EK

#53 BeerNess

BeerNess

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Joined 19-March 11

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Just wondering what books anyone could recommend for someone that's been through kits, extract, and about to embark on AG. Hoping to give the family some ideas for Christmas. I was thinking of the following:

How To Brew (I've pretty much read it all online, but thought it wouldn't hurt to have a hard copy lying around the brew shed)

Brewing Classic Styles

The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing

Pretty confident that I've got a handle on the principles and science of fermentation, so probably looking at soemthing more recipe based or concentrating on the mashing side of things. If there's something out there that deals specifically with BIAB, even better.

Cheers,

I own all three of those titles and How to Brew and Brewing Classic Styles are awesome.

Charlie's Complete Joy of Homebrewing is good, just not as good as Palmer's.

I would substitute that title for any of the other Brewers Publication titles.. Hops, Yeast, IPA's or Water.

The Hops book is very interesting reading material and quite eye opening, I really enjoyed reading it. The other 3 are on my xmas wish list =)  A very good recipe design "bible" out there is by Ray Daniels but from most I've heard it's a bit more advanced and suited to reading once you've gotten a few AG brews under your belt.

I hope Santa is good to you this xmas!!

#54 Yob

Yob

Hop to it

• AHB Sponsor
  • 15,150 posts
  • Joined 14-November 09

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

Thinking of getting 

Beer is Proof God Loves Us *Bamforth

and

Principals of Brewing Science *Fix

Both or one over the other?

ed: man, formatting in the article now sux the big one... 

Edited by Yob, 11 November 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#55 luggy

luggy

Beer God

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • Joined 08-March 14

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

Haven't read that one of bamforths but have read this one, a good read with plenty of good info, more entry level than Fix's book which delves into the science pretty deeply

#56 manticle

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler

• Moderators
  • 24,921 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

Principles is a great reference book yob, even if alpha and beta amylase get mixed up at one or two places.

#57 Yob

Yob

Hop to it

• AHB Sponsor
  • 15,150 posts
  • Joined 14-November 09

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

Noice, think I'll get both :)

#58 Mardoo

Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

• Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

Beer Is Proof God Loves Us is not about brewing technique, but a pretty entertaining and informative book about Bamforth's life in the international brewing industry. I liked it.

Edited by Mardoo, 11 November 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#59 Tahoose

Tahoose

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  • Joined 22-September 13

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

Currently working through the brewmasters table, which written by Garrett Oliver. Basically a book which talks about pairing beer with food, it goes through each style and and gives some write ups on commercial examples of the style and about good food matches for each beer. It's not a bad book but I was sort of hoping that there would be the odd beer or food recipe in there.

I'll probably give a 6.5/10

#60 tumi2

tumi2

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 20-February 09

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

I have read several threads in here regarding brew books and everyones got different thoughts. I am now more confused than when i started. So can anyone guide me on this..

I have How To Brew and love and go back to so often. In fact it may be time for another copy as this one has seen a few spillages over the years.

What i am after is something that focuses on learning and crafting recipe from a technical viewpoint but also from the flavour creation viewpoint with flavour more a priority over technical.. Ingredients and their impact on flavour stuff is what im after. Its the foodie in me that loves to focus on this side of things. Ideally in metric as i cant be bothered converting and based on AG brewing as that is what i do.

Happy for it to be based around BJCP styles provided it is flavour centric. I dont care about how someone won a competition but understand that style helps set some guidelines for ingredients.

I was thinking radical brewing?

Brewing Classic Styles?