#281 mofox1

mofox1

Wubba lubba dub dub!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Joined 15-March 14

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

I have used gelatine on a carbed keg by putting the dissolved gelatine in a pet bottle with a carbonator cap on it and counter pressure filling back into the keg.
Works a treat.

Well that would have saved me a bunch of co2.

Next time, gadget. Next time.

#282 fraser_john

fraser_john

Go Pies

• Members
  • 2,510 posts
  • Joined 17-January 06

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

I have put gelatine straight into a carbed keg with great result. But I have a feeling gelatine only works on yeast haze. It won't work on protein haze, polyclar does and nothing works on hop haze. Is this correct?

This byo article says it works on yeast and proteins... linky I use it almost 100% of the time during lagering or cold conditioning and have very little chill haze issues anymore. Love it.

#283 pist

pist

Beer God

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 06-May 11

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

Just poured my first beer fined with gelatine and im impressed. Really helps to force us05 to drop which really seems to want to hang around. My dry hop has all but disappeared though so might throw more in next time

#284 peekaboo_jones

peekaboo_jones

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Joined 29-July 14

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

I'm 2 years into kit/extract brewing with temp control and bottling only. Recently moved to using gelatin after a year of cold crashing and Gelatin does pretty very well. A couple of times I've rushed the process and bottled to quick after adding gelatin (36hr mark approx) and there was too much fluffy gelatin in the bottled beer.
3 plus days is better, ideally 6-7 days. 750ml bottles, first pour is clear as any filtered commercial beer. Second pour is more hazy but less then non-gelatin bottled beer.
Hop aroma, I haven't really noticed any difference, but I usually do flameout additions as well as dry hop, so it may be assisting?

#285 Beamer

Beamer

Beer God

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 15-March 15

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:52 PM

i started doing this method 5 brews ago, awesome results i now gelatine in my second vessel in which i cold crash. Pretty cool to be able to watch tele through your pilsner.

#286 shacked

shacked

I like beer

• Members
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

Are there any implications when leaving beer with gelatin in it for extended periods of time? I transfer from primary to a keg and leave in the keg for up to 5 weeks - depending on beer style (in the fridge) before transferring to the keg fridge, carbonating and serving. I was thinking of adding gelatin when I transfer from primary to the keg but that would mean the gelatin would stay in the keg for up to 5 weeks.

Edited by shacked, 15 August 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#287 fishingbrad

fishingbrad

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 22-May 14

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:30 PM

I gelatin just before carbonation.

can I ask why you would leave a keg 5 weeks without carbonation ? if I've read your post correctly.

#288 shacked

shacked

I like beer

• Members
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:52 PM

5 weeks is usually lagering. Other than that, it's just until another tap becomes available

#289 TheWiggman

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:06 AM

I do it regularly with lagers Shacked, can't noticed a difference between them taste-wise.

#290 Beamer

Beamer

Beer God

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 15-March 15

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:22 PM

Are there any implications when leaving beer with gelatin in it for extended periods of time? I transfer from primary to a keg and leave in the keg for up to 5 weeks - depending on beer style (in the fridge) before transferring to the keg fridge, carbonating and serving. I was thinking of adding gelatin when I transfer from primary to the keg but that would mean the gelatin would stay in the keg for up to 5 weeks.

I did this with a kolsch that sat in my lagering fridge 6 weeks, no taste difference, but an extremely bright and clear beer.

#291 James

James

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

I have a Munich Dunkel that is currently cold conditioning.  I'll be away for about 2 weeks, then planning to bottle as soon as I'm back.  Would it be ok to leave it after adding gelatine for this period of time prior to returning and bottling?

#292 goatchop41

goatchop41

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined 28-October 14

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

You don't have to worry at all about gelatin doing anything bad flavour-wise, even after long periods. It doesn't add any flavour or have any negative effects. You can bottle beer that has been fined with gelatin and age it with no ill effects

I have a Munich Dunkel that is currently cold conditioning.  I'll be away for about 2 weeks, then planning to bottle as soon as I'm back.  Would it be ok to leave it after adding gelatine for this period of time prior to returning and bottling?

That'll be fine. Even though it should be lovely and crystal clear after that time, there will still be enough yeast left in suspension to allow carbonation in the bottle. Maybe it could take a little longer to fully carbonate (maybe 3 weeks instead of 2?), but shouldn't be an problem

#293 cliffo

cliffo

Beer God

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Joined 24-July 05

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

I used to regularly filter my beers but rarely do it these days except for Kolsch/lagers.

I'm about to keg a couple of ales that I've chilled in the fermenters to just above freezing and am going to use gelatin on these beers.

Once I keg them, they will sit at room temp for several weeks until they get called up for duty.

With this in mind, when would be the best time to use gelatin?

- In the fermenters (I reuse my yeast - does this have any impact?)
- In the keg at the time I transfer from the fermenters; or
- Leave it until I'm putting the keg in the serving fridge, open the keg and add it then?

Cheers,
cliffo