Fermented

I have the body of a god: Buddha.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Joined 06-October 08

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Guys - possibly not worth it.

I had a post-immune reaction which caused my platelets count to drop to 4 (normal is 200 to 400). The post immune reaction was a result of being hit by two kinds of glandular fever (I didn't even notice them) in less than six months, according to the blood work.

It was exacerbated by tonic water according the to the Prof at Price of Wales - I had been having three or four G&T every couple of days for the previous few weeks prior to noticing something was wrong (peeing blood).

He noted that consuming large amounts of tonic water can cause the platelet drop condition on its own. Wet purpura (blood pooling in small spots, visible at the wrists and ankles and elsewhere) and the risk of bleeding to death from a fall exceeds my desire for a truly great G&T. If steroid and gammaglobulin therapy fails to shutdown and restart the immune system correctly, it's time for a spleenectomy. I recovered fine in four days but was forbidden to leave the house for two weeks after that.

Just be very, very careful on the quinine dose if you succeed in this project.

Beer, anyone?

Cheers - Fermented.

#45 citymorgue2

citymorgue2

HB so good, it will raise the dead

• Banned
  • 8,591 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

holy sh*t. dude hope you recover. hmmm me thinks this i not a ood projevt to pursue but then agin i still drink 4 1.25L bottles a week. maybe i should switch to mineral water.

#46 sinkas

sinkas

Beer God

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • Joined 13-March 05

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

its a prohibited imprt due to the fact its too hard to make pest free, they dotn acre abotu the controlled substance side of it, its being destroyed.

#47 Fermented

Fermented

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Joined 06-October 08

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

holy sh*t. dude hope you recover. hmmm me thinks this i not a ood projevt to pursue but then agin i still drink 4 1.25L bottles a week. maybe i should switch to mineral water.

Recovered fine. This was a few years ago, but have been warned to stay off the tonic water. I like keeping my internal organs internal.

Cheers - Fermented.

#48 glenos

glenos

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 25-November 06

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

its a prohibited imprt due to the fact its too hard to make pest free, they dotn acre abotu the controlled substance side of it, its being destroyed.

Can't you just get it irradiated and then receive it?

Wont be cheap.

#49 Muggus

Muggus

Case swap whore

• Members
  • 2,372 posts
  • Joined 09-July 07

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

Guys - possibly not worth it.

I had a post-immune reaction which caused my platelets count to drop to 4 (normal is 200 to 400). The post immune reaction was a result of being hit by two kinds of glandular fever (I didn't even notice them) in less than six months, according to the blood work.

It was exacerbated by tonic water according the to the Prof at Price of Wales - I had been having three or four G&T every couple of days for the previous few weeks prior to noticing something was wrong (peeing blood).

He noted that consuming large amounts of tonic water can cause the platelet drop condition on its own. Wet purpura (blood pooling in small spots, visible at the wrists and ankles and elsewhere) and the risk of bleeding to death from a fall exceeds my desire for a truly great G&T. If steroid and gammaglobulin therapy fails to shutdown and restart the immune system correctly, it's time for a spleenectomy. I recovered fine in four days but was forbidden to leave the house for two weeks after that.

Just be very, very careful on the quinine dose if you succeed in this project.

Beer, anyone?

Cheers - Fermented.

That's hectic!
Definately a substance not to be taken lightly.

I recall hearing somewhere, that quinine glows in UV light. That kinda freaks me out enough to be cautious of drinking tonic water to begin with!

#50 Fermented

Fermented

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Joined 06-October 08

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:56 PM

Yes, it does... that's one of the things that got me hooked on G&T at the old "Test Tube Factory" in Martin Place, late 1980s.

The place was bathed in UV light to show off the UV reactive murals and fixtures. G&T had this amazing slightly lavender glow. Well cool for attracting a friendly lass for the night. ;)

Cheers - Fermented.

#51 kirem

kirem

• Members
  • 2,145 posts
  • Joined 03-September 04

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

Yes, it does... that's one of the things that got me hooked on G&T at the old "Test Tube Factory" in Martin Place, late 1980s.

I used to go to the one in the cross in the early 90s. It was stumbling distance to bed from there. Always felt fine in there, open the door and get hit by fresh air and you would just about fall over.

#52 citymorgue2

citymorgue2

HB so good, it will raise the dead

• Banned
  • 8,591 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

DOcs still recomend tonic water for a range of symptoms such as cramps, and stomach issues. my mother in law was recomeneded to drink it but she doesnt like it. I love it. doesnt seem to help me thought.

damn addictive stuff and its not even alcaholic!

#53 Red Island - David

Red Island - David

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 16-June 09

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hello All,

I'm new to this however I just wanted to let you know that QTonic is now available in Australia. I have attached some info and what it looks like, which I must say is a very sexy packaging and the taste is amazing by itself, with high end Gins (Hendrick's) or even good vodka(Belvedere)... It is only new to Australia so availability is still very low however any outlets that you would like to see the product at please let me know and we will see what we can do. Also if you want it direct please email me and we can send it to you...

Cheers

David

Attached Files

#54 kirem

kirem

• Members
  • 2,145 posts
  • Joined 03-September 04

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hello All,

I'm new to this however I just wanted to let you know that QTonic is now available in Australia. I have attached some info and what it looks like, which I must say is a very sexy packaging and the taste is amazing by itself, with high end Gins (Hendrick's) or even good vodka(Belvedere)... It is only new to Australia so availability is still very low however any outlets that you would like to see the product at please let me know and we will see what we can do. Also if you want it direct please email me and we can send it to you...

Cheers

David

You bloody beauty!

#55 Brewer Pete

Brewer Pete

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • Joined 28-February 09

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

I ended up drinking tonic water on its own because it was so good. Not so great in large quantity due to the salt in it. I also preferred the diet tonic to the one with sugar in it. It can be addictive. :) Alas I haven't had one in over a year. May have to get a bottle next time in the shops.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

#56 Philthy79

Philthy79

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 17-October 08

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Just wondering if anyone had any luck with this (apart from Fermented!)

I have seen Toms Handrcrafted syrup http://www.tomshandc....com/tonic.html but I cant justify paying the $60+ postage.

I dont think the soda stream mix quite works.

Phil

#57 Nick JD

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah

• Banned
  • 7,586 posts
  • Joined 04-November 08

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Do you have malaria?

#58 Philthy79

Philthy79

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 17-October 08

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

...no, but have had Dengue fever...

:icon_cheers:

#59 enuun

enuun

Mash Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Joined 18-April 10

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Aquavit and T is the way to go! with a curly ginger strip

#60 Thirsty Boy

Thirsty Boy

ICB - tight shorts and poor attitude. Fuck yeah!

• Members
  • 4,584 posts
  • Joined 21-May 06

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

America for holidays in May - Toms handcrafted tonic to bring home ... i will also try for some chinchona bark, I'll go for +1kg and then distribute to a few of those who are keen once I get back here ... but expect customs to take it off me anyway, so we'll see.