RecipeDB - Brown Bavarian Mongrel Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score

Brown Bavarian Mongrel Lager

Lager - American Brown
Kit & Kilo
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

The recipe database is missing the tin of Coopers Bavarian Lager.

Bring cold water and Choc Grain up to 65-70C over 30min period, then steep for 30min. strain and boil for 30min with DDME and half DLME, 10g saaz @15min, 15g saaz @0. Then add to tin of Coopers Bavarian Lager and all other ingredients

Great spring/autum lager. The warmth of the alcohol and choc grain gives it some character. The saaz freshens it up and gives it the nice euro lager taste. I would sub the maltodex for some crystal and add 100g carapils. I got a great head on this anyway.

Got some good reviews at the 2007 Vic xmas caseswap for those who tried it (drank on the day, not as part of the actual caseswap).

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
0.2 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.85 kg Generic DME - Light
0.5 kg Generic DME - Dark
0.35 kg Dextrose
0.25 kg Corn Sugar

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 0mins)
10 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 15mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast S-189 - SafLager German Lager
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.034 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.009 (calc)
  • Bitterness 2.6 IBU
  • Efficiency 0%
  • Alcohol 3.24%
  • Colour 34 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain why the second lot of hops is at 0 mins? I'm not sure what that means.

I've been brewing for about 18 months but have been lazy and am just starting to get adventurous and this took my fancy..

either i edited the recipe to show the right hop addition times or you've misread the recipe (probably the first). hops additions are at 15 and 10min. you could trow some in at 0min and it wouldnt hurt at all.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain why the second lot of hops is at 0 mins? I'm not sure what that means.

I've been brewing for about 18 months but have been lazy and am just starting to get adventurous and this took my fancy..

If the recipe states a 0 minute addition it means an addition after the boil time is finished, ie at flameout.

Back