Full/Sweet taste despite low finish

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
Tonight I bottled a Belgian Golden Strong which started at 1.071 and finished at 1.005.

It rocketed off and lost 30 points in the first 48 hours, but then took another fortnight to go terminal. I did post a thread asking why, but I didn't get any insight. I suspect the 25% dextrose in the boil was the culprit, and that a good amount of the yeast population got lazy after those first two days of eating junk food. I also understand that there's a para in brew like a monk that says something along the lines of 'it can take just as long to get that last 20% fermentation as the first 80% took'. I need to get that book back from our club library.

Anyways, I have tasted both hydrometer and force carbed samples, and they taste nothing like a 1.005 beer to my mind. The hydro sample tastes sweetish, and the carbonated sample, while not recognisably sweet, does taste fuller....say more like a Tripel than a Belgian Golden Strong. I am wondering where this fullness could be coming from at 1.005.

Recipe was 75% pils 25% dex, mashed at 64.

Any experience or thoughts on this one?

At 8% ABV that would be alcohol or malt sweetness. In a higher alcohol beer because the alcohol is significantly lighter than water, that 1005 beer could well have the same amount of complex carbs such as dextrin as you might find in, say a 1011 beer with lower alcohol. Look at it this way, the hydrometer will sink further in less dense beer.

Don't have the formula - I'm sure one must exist - but that's why the likes of Tennants Superlager and American Malt Liquors etc are quite full and syrupy in flavour.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Tonight I bottled a Belgian Golden Strong which started at 1.071 and finished at 1.005.

It rocketed off and lost 30 points in the first 48 hours, but then took another fortnight to go terminal. I did post a thread asking why, but I didn't get any insight. I suspect the 25% dextrose in the boil was the culprit, and that a good amount of the yeast population got lazy after those first two days of eating junk food. I also understand that there's a para in brew like a monk that says something along the lines of 'it can take just as long to get that last 20% fermentation as the first 80% took'. I need to get that book back from our club library.

Anyways, I have tasted both hydrometer and force carbed samples, and they taste nothing like a 1.005 beer to my mind. The hydro sample tastes sweetish, and the carbonated sample, while not recognisably sweet, does taste fuller....say more like a Tripel than a Belgian Golden Strong. I am wondering where this fullness could be coming from at 1.005.

Recipe was 75% pils 25% dex, mashed at 64.

Any experience or thoughts on this one?

Which yeast ?? Some Belgians do that

Could simply be insufficient hop bitterness.

Back